February 19, 2010

Lifetime of UPS Units

I had customer inquire about replacing a APC SmartUPS 3000.  He said it was too old to be relied on anymore.  When I pressed him further, he assumed that new models would be more efficient, and perform better, and offer better features.  A 10 year old piece of IT equipment is just too outdated, he thought.

What a sad commentary on our consumerist society, that we now expect things to become worthless after a few years.

Here are the facts:

  • The technology used in that 10 year old UPS is still being used today on new models
  • The UPS is more like an electrical piece of equipment than a computer part.  Do you change your electrical panel or outlets ever two years?
  • The main reason good quality parts become worthless is NOT because they fail, but because technology companies need to sell you new items and hence must innovate.  (My top of line pioneer Laserdisc player from 1990 still works great). I think I am on my 4th DVD player in last 10years because I bought the cheap models.
  • These days, everyone is price sensitive.  Back in 1998 when this 3000va UPS was made... I doubt APC even considered price.  It was made in America and it sold for over $1600.   Today's UPS'es must be price competitive.. hence they are made in Asia with cheaper quality parts.

Bottomline, that customer agreed to keep his unit and hence I lost a sale.     So in honor of quality old parts, I I watched the Criterion Collection's silver transfer of Alien in CAV format.