November 26, 2009

What type of Powersonic Batteries do you use - Gotcha Moment

I got this question last week and it interested me that my customer was curious my thoughts on high rate batteries.


Yes, Powersonic makes two lines of SLA batteries: the regular (PS) and hi rate batteries (PSH).  And Yes, WeBob uses the less expensive PS line of batteries, even though the PSH would be better.

However, in my defense, my competitors wouldnt even think of using the high rate batteries.  They are much more expensive.  My competitors use mostly private label batteries that they would say are specially designed for UPS units.  And some even say High Rate.

As a purchasing agent and manufacturer's sourcer in previous lives, I can tell you its about price and competition.

Having a battery manufacturer special make your battery to specs that exceed their own product lines would be very expensive. Having them make them in regular fresh stock cycles would be impossible.  However putting your sticker (aka private labeling) on a low cost battery is much more feasible and likely.

APC sells millions of batteries... and they do the sticker trick.  Do you really think UPSunitsCheapontheWeb.com makes a special hi rate UPS battery for their units....

Bottomline,  we are proud to use Powersonic brand, even if it is their cheaper line.  Our distributor gets them fresh, sells them cheap and moves thousands fast.