November 26, 2009

A Buridan's Ass - Replace Unit or Replace Batts (Small Units)


In many ways, choosing between replacing a small UPS and replacing the batteries can be a Buridan's Ass situation.  (It is a real phase... I had never heard of it either til now). 


Consider APC's 350va unit.  You can buy it new for $37.  If you need a replacement battery, its $29 plus shipping.  In that case, probably buy the new one.


Another common one is APC's BR900va unit.  You can buy it new for $85. The APC replacement battery pack is $79.  ElcheapoStore.com sells mystery batteries for $55 delivered.   Thats not cut and dry, either... I would probably choose the new one as well.

However, there are a few that wont leave you in that Buridian perplexity... the BE750 sells on the street for $82.  When it goes bad, the RBC2 pack costs only $29 to replace. 

As I told a customer this weekend, replacing the batteries on small APC upses usually isnt worth it, but there are few exceptions. 

While it my hurt my business, check the replacement and total life cycle cost when buying UPSes

And remember, feel free to email me if you are stuck with one of these and staring at those two bushels of hay