March 12, 2013

When True Online is neither True or Online

Call me old fashioned, but I am getting tired of words and specs being so loosely interpreted that they can me anything.

Last week I bought some "pomegranate juice" to make into real grenadine for a fireman's sour.   (give me a break... its always hot enough here in Florida for foo foo drinks).  It turned out it was mostly apple juice. Next, I rented a 4x4 earlier this week.  But found out that its not a true 4x4 but a "independent drive" transmission which "works like a 4x4." Then today I bought a Chef's Oyster knife which promptly broke after 4 oysters.

The juice, 4x4 and knife all pretended to be something we know and trust.  But in each case someone decided we didnt really need what we wanted.

The same is true in Online UPSes.  Nearly everyone says their Online UPS is true online or double conversion.  But the reality is few actually are truly online types.

The manufacturers (like the juice, 4x4, and knife guys) wont admit to lying, but rather simplifing the complex terminology to give you value.   That simplifying can be disastrous.  My drink tastes like crap, I slide off the road, and stare at unopened oysters.

But one manufacturer has decided to introduce a new term to describe true online.   Its GE Digital and they call their honest Online systems a true Voltage and Frequency Independent online system

This matters for people needing their UPSes to keep constant frequency.   Most Tripplite and Powerware so called Online systems arent True VFI Online.   But APC's 3000 actually is